- Telephone:+31 20 59 86877
- Room nr:e-346
- Unit:faculteit der aard- en levenswetenschappen ( cluster aarde en klimaat )
Prof. dr. ing. Jan Willem Erisman
Louis Bolk Institute, Driebergen, the Netherlands
Professor Integrated Nitrogen Studies
Jan Willem Erisman has a background in environmental research, especially the atmosphere – biosphere exchange of gases and aerosols related to acidification and eutrophication and climate change, both scientific as well as policy development and evaluation studies. His work has focuses on optimizing food production and energy use while minimizing the environmental impacts from increased nitrogen cycling. Until 2012 he led the unit Biomass, Coal and Environmental research of the Energy research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN) with about 90 scientists working in the field of environmental research, research on biomass pre-treatment and conversion technologies, liquid and gaseous products from biomass, carbon sequestration and environmental reduction technologies. Currently he is CEO of the Louis Bolk Institute (www.louisbolk.org), an institute with 45 professionals providing international advice and research on sustainable agriculture, nutrition and health care. He was Chair of the European Science Foundation programme Nitrogen in Europe (NinE; www.nine-esf.org) (2005-2011) and is a member of the Scientific Committee and project officers (Treasurer) of the International Geosphere Biosphere Program (IGBP; www.igbp.net). He is a member of the Health Council of the Netherlands.
He is professor at the VU University Amsterdam on Integrated nitrogen studies. Research focuses on the interaction between nitrogen and climate, the use of satellite data to improve nitrogen exposure and deposition and on the improvement of nutrient efficiencies in agriculture and energy use to improve the environmental quality (estuaries, seas and oceans, air, human health, biodiversity and ecosystem services)
- Erisman, J.W., G. Brasseur, P. Ciais, N.J.M. van Eekeren, T.L. Theis. 2015. Global change: Put people at the centre of global risk management. Nature. 519:151-153.
- Erisman, J.W., J.N. Galloway, N.B. Dise, M.A. Sutton, A. Bleeker, B. Grizzetti, A.M. Leach, W. de Vries. 2015. Nitrogen: Too much of a vital resource. WWF Netherlands, Zeist, the Netherlands. 27 p.
- Erisman, J.W., Galloway,J.N., Seitzinger S., Bleeker A., Dise N.B., Petrescu R., Leach A.M., de Vries W. (2013) Consequences of human modification of the global nitrogen cycle. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. vol. 368 no. 1621, doi: 10.1098/rstb.2013.0116.
- Liu, X.J., Y. Zhang, W. Han, A. Tang, J. Shen, Z. Cui, P. Vitousek, J.W. Erisman, K. Goulding, P. Christie, A. Fangmeier. 2013. Enhanced nitrogen deposition over China. Nature, 494, 459–462. DOI: 10.1038/nature11917.
- Erisman, J.W., Galloway, J.N., Seitzinger, S., Bleeker, A., Butterbach-Bahl, K.: 2011. Reactive nitrogen in the environment and its effect on climate change, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, Volume 3, Issue 5, Pages 281-290, ISSN 1877-3435, 10.1016/j.cosust.2011.08.012.
- Aneja, V.P., Schlesinger, W.H., Erisman, J.W., Behera, S.N., Mukesh Sharma, and Battye, W. (2011) Reactive nitrogen emissions from crop and livestock farming in India. Atmospheric Environment, 47, 92-103
- Sutton, M.A., Oenema, O., Erisman, J.W., Leip, A., van Grinsven, H., Winiwarter, W., 2011. Too much of a good thing. Nature 472, 159-161.
- Sutton , M.A., C. M. Howard , J. W. Erisman et al. The European Nitrogen Assessment. Cambridge University Press.
- Bobbink, R., Hicks, K., Galloway, J., Spranger, T., Alkemade, R., Ashmore, M., Bustamante, M., Cinderby, S., Davidson, E., Dentener, F., Emmett, B., Erisman, J.W., Fenn, M., Gilliam, F., Nordin, A., Pardo, L., De Vries, W., 2010. Global assessment of nitrogen deposition effects on terrestrial plant diversity: a synthesis. Ecological Applications 20, 30-59.
- Erisman, J.W., van Grinsven, H., Leip, A., Mosier, A., Bleeker, A., 2010. Nitrogen and biofuels; an overview of the current state of knowledge. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 86, 211-223.
- Aneja, V.P., Schlesinger, W.H., Erisman, J.W., 2009. Effects of Agriculture upon the Air Quality and Climate: Research, Policy, and Regulations. Environmental Science & Technology 43, 4234-4240.
- Erisman, J.W. Galloway, J.A. Sutton, M.S. Klimont, Z. & Winiwater, W.. 2008 How a century of ammonia synthesis changed the world. Nature Geoscience 1, 636 - 639.
- Erisman, J.W., Bleeker, A., Galloway, J., Sutton, M.S. Reduced nitrogen in ecology and the environment (2007) Environmental Pollution, 150 (1), pp. 140-149.
- Galloway, J.N., Townsend, A.R. Erisman, J.W., Bekunda, M., Cai, Z.e Freney, J.R., Martinelli, L.A., Seitzinger, S.P., Sutton, M.A.. 2008. Transformation of the nitrogen cycle: Recent trends, questions, and potential solutions. Science, Volume 320, Issue 5878, Pages 889-892.
- Aneja, V.P., W.H. Schlesinger and J.W. Erisman, 2008. Farming pollution. Nature Geoscience 1, 409 - 411
Leerstoel gefinancierd door het Wereld Natuur Fonds
(Recent) Field work reports/photos/information Etc.
IPCC Working group II, IGBP and TFRN co-sponsored workshop on nitrogen and climate with relevance for AR5
The European Nitrogen Assessment (http://www.nine-esf.org/ENA-Book)
Louis Bolk Instituut