- Position:Head of the department of Methodology and Applied Biostatistics
Works every afternoon (except Tuesday). In the morning working at VUMC (tel: +31 20 4444459)
Jos Twisk studied human movement science at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, and after his graduation in 1990, he started to work at the same faculty, where he joined the research team of the Amsterdam Growth and Health Study. In 1995, he finished his PhD-thesis, which was related to this longitudinal study. In the same year, he moved with the AGHLS from the faculty of human movement science to the EMGO-Institute. After his PhD, he supervised several projects within the AGHSL and participated as a teacher and coordinator in several postdoctoral courses given at the EMGO-Institute. In this period, he specialised himself in the methodological field of longitudinal data analysis and multilevel analysis and wrote two textbooks about it (both published by Cambridge University Press). In 2000, he moved to the department of clinical epidemiology and biostatistics of the VU university medical centre. In 2005, he became head of the department of Methodology and applied biostatistics at the Institute of Health Sciences from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. He is also head of the expertise centre of applied longitudinal data analysis, which is an interfaculty centre of the Institute of Health Sciences and the Medical Centre of the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. His main activities are statistical and methodological consultancies (both in the clinic and at the university), and teaching.
5 Key publications as 1st author
- Twisk J, de Vente W. Attrition in longitudinal studies. How to deal with missing data. J Clin Epidemiol. 2002 Apr;55(4):329-37
- Twisk JWR. Applied longitudinal data analysis for epidemiology. A practical guide. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2003
- Twisk J, Proper K. Evaluation of the results of a randomized controlled trial: how to define changes between baseline and follow-up. J Clin Epidemiol 2004; 57: 223-8.
- Twisk JW. Longitudinal data analysis. A comparison between generalized estimating equations and random coefficient analysis. Eur J Epidemiol. 2004; 19: 769-76.
- Twisk JWR. Applied multilvel analysis. A practical guide. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2006.
5 publications as co-author
Relevant websites: http://www.jostwisk.nl/